2
Vote

Diacritical marks ie. umlaut accent marks

description

uged_10.2.3921.29478.zip appears to not handle the diacriticatal marks properly. I created a gedcom file from The Master Genealogist v6.
 
When I edit that file (using NotePad) the umlauts are visable (Example: 1 NAME Gottfried /MÜHLETHALER/ ) however when the html file is created there is an unrecoginized place holder there that looks like a diamond with a question mark for that character.
 
Did I miss a setting or something or is there still more coding necessary?
 
DMuhlethaler

comments

mdeback wrote Oct 9, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I have had this same problem with GEDCOMs exported from TMG. The trick is to export the file as ANSEL. Then open the file in Notepad and then select Save As. On the Save As dialog in Notepad from the Encoding drop-down select UTF-8

DMuhlethaler wrote Oct 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM

That trick didn't work for me. I tried ANSEL, IBMPC and ANSI with differing and unsatisfactory results. The ANSEL version gave me èU (lower case E w/graue + U) instead of Ü (upper case U w/diaeresis.

Hope someone else has a trick or two up their sleeve otherwise I guess I have to stick with GED2WWW version 1.5.5b

D

knibbo2004 wrote May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I had similar problems but Mike's suggestion of converting the file to UTF-8 worked - for most of them anyway. I did struggled with a couple of others though and ended up by entering their names into Family Tree Maker using the ascii code for the special characters. For example, Anthony Zbigniew BAŁAZIŃSKI. UncleGED displays this as Anthony Zbigniew BAŁAZIŃSKI.
For me it's a satisfactory solution because the Web display is far more important to me than the one in Family Tree Maker.